This easy, delicious and nutritious recipe is sure to become a staple in your home! Great for dinner or meal prepping for lunch! This hearty recipe is sure to fill you up and energize your day!
Did you know?
- Spaghetti squash is considered a fruit.
- The more yellow the squash the more flavorful.
- It is low in calories and high in fiber making it an excellent choice for weight loss and regulation!
Hearty Spaghetti Squash Recipe
Serves Two | 15 min prep 1 hour cook | Gluten Free | Vegetarian
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup lentils
- 2 cups water
- 1 jar spaghetti sauce
- choose low sodium to lower sodium content
- 4 Tbsp freshly grated parmesan or Romano cheese
- omit to decrease saturated fat and sodium content
- Fresh thyme and oregano to garnish
- Preheat your oven to 400°F. Wash any dirt off your squash and remove any stickers. Slice the squash in half so you have two oblong shapes. Place the squash face down on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Set aside until oven is heated.
- Once the oven in heated, slide the baking sheet with the squash into the center of the oven and bake for 45-50 minutes or until it the inner flesh flakes easily with a fork.
- In the meantime, cook the lentils according to package directions.
- When the lentils are finished with only a little water left in the pot, add the desired amount of spaghetti sauce to the pot to heat up. More spaghetti sauce will help to thin out the mixture and less will give you a chunkier tomato sauce.
a. Try adding dried herbs like rosemary, thyme, oregano, garlic, bay leaf, etc. for a flavor and antioxidant boost!
- When the spaghetti squash is done baking and has cooled enough to pick up, flake the inner flesh out with a fork into a large bowl. The flesh should come out in a noodle like fashion!
- Divide the spaghetti squash into two bowls and top each with the lentil spaghetti sauce. Grate fresh cheese on top of the dish and garnish it with your fresh herbs. This is sure to be a colorful piece everyone will enjoy!
Amount Per Serving | 2 Servings
Calories 467, Total Fat 16 g, Saturated Fat 3 g, Sodium 2114 mg (88 %), Total Carbohydrate 84 g, Dietary Fiber 31 g (123 %), Sugars 25 g, Protein 26 g, Vitamin A 51 %, Vitamin C 95 %, Calcium 38 %, Iron 67 %C