By Eleanor Baker, MS, RD, LDN
A delectable twist on your must have pizza night! A blend of sweet and savory finishes this pizza with a smack of the lips!Serves 2
Pizza Dough Ingredients
6 large carrots
3 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
1 Tbsp dried Rosemary
pinch of salt
1/4 cup plus 1 cup balsamic vinegar
8 oz raw chicken, cut into bite-sized cubes
1 cup raw, washed sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup fresh mozzarella, cut into bite-size cubes
10 leaves fresh basil, chiffonade
1/4-1/2 cup olive oil
salt to taste
red pepper flakes (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F with a rack arranged in the middle of the oven. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place chicken pieces into the 1/4 cup of balsamic to marinate. Make sure the pieces are well coated. Let sit.
- In a juicer, juice the carrots. Set aside the juice for a snack later on. Remove the pulp from the juicer and place in a large bowl. Crack eggs into a shallow dish, removing any shells.
- Add eggs, Nutritional Yeast, rosemary, and salt to carrot pulp and stir until well mixed. Spread the dough mixture onto the baking sheet shaping the dough into a circle that is 1/4 inch thick. Then place into the oven for 10-15 minutes until the dough is dry to the touch and very lightly browned. Remove and set aside until other ingredients are ready.
- In a large pan, heat 1 Tbsp olive oil on medium high heat. Once the pan is hot add the sliced mushrooms and cook until just barely tender. You want them to be slightly undercooked. Remove from the pan and set aside in a bowl.
- Using the same pan on med-high heat sauté the chicken cubes until they caramelize and brown and are cooked through, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from pan and set aside in a separate bowl.
- Using the same pan, add the 1 cup of balsamic vinegar and cook on med-high heat until the liquid cooks down to about 1/4 cup or becomes nectar thick. The balsamic reduction will be sweet.
- Drain the liquid from the mushroms and spread evenly over the pizza. Do the same with the chicken and mozzarella. Drizzle the pizza with the balsamic reduction (save a little for later) and place into the oven at 400°F. Cook for 10 mins or until mozzarella is melted.
- Remove from oven and place with parchment paper on a wire rack. Sprinkle chiffronade basil on top and drizzle with the balsamic reduction, extra virgin olive oil, and salt to taste. Enjoy!
Pairs well with a full body Cabernet